Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

I made a turkey yesterday. I made a fresh herb butter rub with butter, fresh garlic, fresh sage, fresh rosemary, dried thyme, dried sage, salt and pepper. I saved the sage stems and an extra sprig of rosemary to put inside the bird. I chopped up 1 large onion, 2 sticks of celery with leaves, 3 medium carrots, and 3 crushed peeled garlic cloves.
I stuffed the bird with onions, celery and herbs, and put the carrots, garlic and remaining veggies around the bird in the pan. I smeared the butter rub under the skin over the breasts and over the entire bird and added a bit of water:
And put it in the oven at 325 for 20 minutes per pound of turkey. Mine was 22 pounds.
At this point, I laughed and thought how on earth am I going to baste this thing? The secret was very carefully with a ladle but I still made a mess in the oven. I had to keep an eye on the juices coming out because it overflowed once! I had to keep removing broth as it baked! I have lots of delicious broth!
That's what I get for not using a real turkey roasting pan! And I got to clean out the oven before I went to bed last night!
But the turkey was sooooo good! I filled up 5 freezer bags with turkey meat and another bag with 5 large chunks from the breasts. 
I saved the carcass and will be making bone broth tomorrow.
 
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment