Saturday, December 11, 2010

Interesting! See? it IS a vegetable!

from iloveindia.com:
"Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Sugarcanes
  • Sugarcane, being low on glycemic index, helps keep the body fit and healthy.
  • Sugarcane juice has been found to be very beneficial for preventing as well as treating sore throat, cold and flu.
  • Since sugarcane has no simple sugar, it can be enjoyed by diabetics without any fear. However, they intake should still be limited for people suffering from type-2 diabetes.
  • Being alkaline in nature, sugarcane juice helps the body in fighting against cancer, especially prostate and breast cancer.
  • Sugarcane provides glucose to the body, which is stored as glycogen and burned by the muscles, whenever they require energy. Therefore, it is considered to be one of the best sources of energy.
  • If you have been exposed to heat and physical activity for too long, drink sugarcane juice. It will help hydrate the body quickly.
  • Sugarcane is believed to strengthen stomach, kidneys, heart, eyes, brain, and sex organs.
  • Sugarcane juice is an excellent substitute for aerated drinks and cola.
  • Sugarcane clears the urinary flow and also helps the kidney to perform its functions smoothly.
  • Sugarcane juice has been found to be good for those who are suffering from febrile disorders. Febrile disorders are responsible for causing fevers, which can result in a great amount of protein loss from the body. Liberal consumption of sugar cane juice provides the necessary protein and other food elements to the body.
  • Sugarcane is beneficial for micturation, caused due to high acidity, along with genorrhoea, enlarged prostate, cyctitis and nepthritis. Mixing sugarcane juice with lime juice, ginger juice and coconut water will give better results.
  • Sugarcane juice is said to speed up the recovery process after jaundice.
  • As sugarcane consists of carbohydrates, in good quantities, it serves to refresh and energize the body. It supplies instant energy to working muscles and for this reason, it is also known to maximize performance in sports and endurance.
  • Sugarcane is also good for digestion, as it can effectively work as a mild laxative because of its high potassium content. "

I was worried that when eating the sugar cane I bought Wednesday it would be a major overload of sugar, but shockingly and amazingly, it's not the same as the white granual stuff you buy processed and prepackaged in the store! And it tastes amazingly different! Sweet, but not too sweet. and I bet whatever calories that are in it are burned by the chewing you have to do to extract the juice.

                       ON THE MENU TODAY:

                                            My Breakfast
                                                 1 deviled egg, turkey meat, and 1 navel orange
                                               My Snack
                                                                         1 cucumber
                                               My Lunch
                                      2 1/2 cups smoothie, banana, and carrot and celery sticks
I made my first GREEN SMOOTHIE today. MMMMMMMMMMMMM!
ingredients:
-2 big leaves collard greens with stems
-4 leaves red lettude with ribs
-3 leaves romaine lettuce with ribs
-about 10 large spinach leaves with stems
-4 large sprigs parsley
-1 mango peeled and pitted
-1 gala apple (I didn't peel it)
chop the greens into about 1 inch square pieces, then blend in blender. do not add water (it will need coaxing). add chopped fruit, blend well.

It tastes sweet, but not too sweet, with a nice "green taste"
I have to admit when I added the collard greens, I thought I won't like it. but you can't taste it at all. I found out I reeeeeallllllllyyyyy DON"T like collard greens plain at all!!!!!-even cooked! But it's thankfully undetectable in a smoothie. I decided to start trying to add other weird greens I don't normally use to my diet. collard greens, fresh parsley and cilantro are some I'm starting with.

I LOVE THE GREEN COLOR! It looks fresh! I want to paint my walls with it!
when I saw pictures of other people's green concoctions, I thought gross! it can't taste too good! but the taste really reminds me of those little expensive bottles of juice you buy in the refridgerated "healthy juice" isle at a store.(I put quotes cause it's pasturized and has no usable nutrients) I can't remember the brand though- Bottle house or something.

I would really love to have a vitamix blender though cause there are little bits of apple peel mixed in that my blender can't puree to nothingness. But over all, I'm impressed with the texture.

just the smoothie alone is filling! I'm thinking my meal will have to be spread out over an hour or so.
But I am impressed and recommend this to anyone who wants to try it! My 1st smoothie I made without a recipe and I got great results!
My Snack
Sugarcane, pecans and brazilnuts
My Supper
 spagetti noodles (maybe homemade if I feel like it) with raw pasta sauce, jicama, and kiwi

I will probably not hear the end of not serving meat to my husband tonight, so I'll put meat in my husband's. I came across a raw pasta sauce recipe that sounds good and I have all the ingredients for it and would like to try it for myself.
                                            My all-time favorite Ollie picture:
                                                                    Ollie-Bee-Bolly-Bee
                                   These are my sister's cats but my mom says they're her's now
                                                             Lu-Lee-Bee
                                    Lucy hiding under a warm heating pad to warm her delicate self

Well, I'll write more maybe later
Trisha

1 comment:

  1. Try Kale in your smoothies. Its really really good! And you can even chop kale and bake it in the oven with sea salt and olive oil and make kale chips and they are very good! Adding kale to soup is good too... but I don't know if I like it plain. I can't remember :)

    ReplyDelete