Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Ouch!!!!!!!

YEEEE-OOOOOOOOWWWWWWCHHHHH!!!!!!
I peeled the chayote squash tonight. I had to grit my teeth and hold my tongue cause the thorns are so horribly sharp, they pierce your skin before you even have hold of it! Then, there is a wierd slimy gummy sort of sappy substance under the skin that comes out of the fruit when you cut it. It stays on your hands after you rinse them too. Then dries and cracks and you can scratch/rub it off. Wierd stuff.
                             before  
after
                                         Chayote Squash above    Jicama below            
from the MCL Fresh Inc website:
"SPINY CHAYOTE SQUASH: A cousin of Chayote Squash, the Spiny Chayote
Squash is pear shaped and pear sized, with uneven furrows running its length.
But that is where the similarities stop, because the Spiny Chayote Squash is
dark green and has spines or thorns all over the outside. Spiny Chayote has a
crisp whitish flesh that has a high water content and a subtle flavor. It contains a
single stone that is 1 to 2 inches long and that sprouts inside the ripe fruit. Spiny
Chayote can be eaten raw or cooked. In raw form, it is often added to salads or
served on its own with a bit of vinaigrette. In Latin American cooking, it is most
commonly halved and stuffed, as either a main course or dessert. In Asian cooking
it is used in soups, braised, and stir-fried with meat, even stuffed. This item
may replace Summer Squash in most recipes. Raw Spiny Chayote Squash is a
good source of potassium and contains vitamin C, and folic acid."

What an exciting food! It tastes great raw- kind of reminds me of jicama and a raw russet potato with the starchiness and kind of like sugarcane or cucumber with the sweetness! Kinda surprised me!

I went to the Pro's Ranch Market today!
total cost $16.33
Check this out!   SUGAR CANE!
my ceilings are about 8 feet tall. Sugar cane price- $1.99 GROWN IN THE USA!!!! Who can't beat that when you're curious!
Just kinda akward when you try push it around in your grocery cart while you finish shopping and try put it in your car to take home!
I cut off about a foot of it before taking this picture and we ate it. Yum! It's pretty good! just takes a while to spit all the fibers out after sucking the juice out..... but it's pretty easy to peel!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that's my excitment!)

Counters full of food again!
6 apples, 1 orange, and 2 limes are from the last trip
not in this picture, but also puchased today are 2 bunches cilantro, 1 bunch parsley, 1 jicama(pictured above), sugarcane(also pictured above), celery, about 5 pounds dry pinto beans- I think that's all.
Well worth the cost I think- I still love that place!
 made chocolate avocado pudding with sugar, honey, cornstarch, avocados, and cocoa powder! MMMMMMMMM!
I love avocados! I crave them sometimes! and Chocolate! So this is the perfect combination! I crave this pudding sometimes too!


LOOK!- someone at work threw away this HUGE stack of magazines! So being the dumpster diver junk collector I am, I grabbed them up and went home with the loot! Can't wait to be able to sit down and read them cover to cover and make some of the projects!
anyways, gotta go and finish supper! I just burned my wild rice mixture trying to finish writing this! (I wasn't keeping an eye on the water level)
but (imagine a picture of wonder woman with her fist punching out) it can be saved!
 It only started burning, so I dumped the loose unstuck rest of it onto a plate and put some water on it, covered it up with another plate, and will let it sit a while till I finish up the rest of the meal!
will write more Friday cause I have work tomorrow and also have the office to clean!

Goodnight,
Trisha

2 comments:

  1. It's time to change your blog name from "hopeless" to "looking up" or something along those lines. When I read your blog, I don't feel hopeless. Your blog is more inspiring than that! haha! I guess you must be going for the irony in the name :) I am sooo jealous of all your nummy looking fruit! We havent had fruit for a couple weeks but now I can go shopping tomorrow because its payday!! Hopefully I'll have a counter looking like yours soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope- My house is still hopelessly unfinished! :-) while I may be looking up, my house sure ain't! :-) You'll hafta come over next Wednesday when I go shopping at Pro's Ranch Market again! They have great priced produce!

    ReplyDelete