Thursday, January 5, 2012

The garden beginning 2012

The Garden now:
 in all it's brown glory.

Life among all the frozen death and decay: Green onions! and weeds!
 and mixed in with weeds, red lettuce! I didn't plant it though. so a useful weed.
 The pile of bricks still goes untouched along with pots still needing care and love and new plants to cradle within. Bags of soil/ mulch, stakes, and yes, that's a dead sunflower propped up over the pile I've pulled up and rudely beheaded. notice the dirt clump still firmly attached to it's greedy root fingers? I tried to bang it off and it's such a mass of roots, forget it. Caliche clay living up to it's name: Caliche is a sedimentary rock, a hardened deposit of calcium carbonate. This calcium carbonate cements together other materials, including gravel, sand, clay, and silt.
Yup, and in my garden it flourishes. and cements stuff together. But it sure grows things!
With out going much into the garden, as you can tell from the first picture, there is a lot of dead plants all frozen and littered across from one side to the other. I still have potatoes to dig up, and watermelon to harvest. Probably frozen and gross now as the melon vines died about a month ago.

A garden frozen in time a little after the first freeze. Neglected. And forgotten.

This year it will take on new life. My husband wants to do it his way and rid of all the grass for me, and then maybe he'll help me re dig it and we'll plant our health in there as well. Another of my goals this year is to try eat or can/freeze/save everything that comes from my garden and try not to buy much from the store. I'm hoping for a HUGE garden this year. But we'll see how it goes. you can't just say something and have it work as planned, especially while working full time relying on batteries to keep it alive, (experience from my mom's garden where her batteries gave out in the middle of the summer in the middle of the blazing heat while she was out of the state) but I'll sure try! :-) I had the best garden last year! (Thanks mom for my garden and for all your hard work helping me!)

So the garden before. In the beginning. A lot of work. A lot of dreams and plans. Unstarted.

So many words to describe it. A whole year to do it.
Trisha.

1 comment:

  1. And Mom says....You're welcome! It was fun to do for you because it was your Birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete