Saturday, June 4, 2011

Hot Blazes

Last night we had a FIRE!!!

This is the second one this week. 1st was 3 days ago. I got the idea after we cut 2 huge branches off the mesquite tree out front and also the thought of Cruizer's never seen fire! So, we had a fire in the backyard.
FUN!!!! Cruizer was nervous the first time, just fine the second.

I baked yesterday instead of cleaning the entire house. I sat around and feel so rested now today it's wonderful! I woke up and the black bags under my eyes appear to be fading!!! Maybe they're not permenant after all!

In my quest to make "Healthy" cookies, I found 2 recipes online that call for applesauce and very little fat.
The first batch of cookies I made were:
Chocolate Spice Cookies.
The second batch, Alaska Molasses Cookies.
I will openly admit I don't care a thing about the chocolate ones. Probably cause I can taste a little salt in it. My husband likes them though. Just something about adding salt to molasses doesn't ever work out for me. It seems all I can taste is molasses and salt then. I do like the Alaska Molasses ones though. Spongy and soft, no greasy feeling left on my hands to have to wash off before touching anything, wonderful warm molasses flavor...

Anyways, one recipe to keep for sure. I'll have to ask my husband exactly how much he really likes that chocolate cookie before I keep that recipe. 

For now, I smell smoke. I smell like a campfire. whats weird is the embers are still hot this morning. I got all excited and started scooping the ashes into my mop bucket till I realized wait! These are still hot! so I dumped them out, and scooped them into a pile to turn into ashes the rest of the way so I can put them in my garden later.

Am I the only one who gets excited about putting ashes or anything else into my garden? I'm planning for a garden next year and am trying to think of the soil. I never have done anything to it before except put a bag or 2 of compost or manure in it every year.

I'm trying to build it up naturally. I have a compost heap but it's so small, it doesn't compost well. I don't care though cause every 2 years I'm finding dirt from it. The only problem that drives me crazy is the grass growing in my garden stealing all the nutrients and choking out my plants. It was so bad this year, and I started my new job, that I said I can't do a garden this year. I wouldn't be able to even get the seeds started with my unpredictable schedule.

I miss looking out the window at watermelon, and cantelope growing, and watching the vines spread from sweet potatoes. What I don't miss, is standing out there every morning getting sweaty and muddy holding a hose trying to water them frantically before work.

So, No garden this year. YET. I remember last year feeling the same way, and then planting watermelon and sweet potatoes last minute. I would also love to grow pumpkin.
Maybe I'll start some now that I have a 4 day weekened to get them watered and started.

Have a great day!
Trisha.

No comments:

Post a Comment