Monday, November 14, 2011

Sourdough Bread

I baked my bread this morning even though it wasn't risen an inch over the top.

It took about 24 hours to raise. I'm guessing it's because it's fall and not the middle of summer with all it's heat. But it raised very well and after I put it in the oven to bake, it started raising very quick. Therefore I know it's just because of the cold. So there.

Here it is starting to bake after it rose some.

and here's the dog waiting patiently for it to cook. notice the drywall dust all over the floor? It's nice.
 I feel bad for puppy's nose right there breathing it all in.

It sure takes long when your waiting to see how it will turn out. Here it started getting really dark after only cooking 5 minutes. So I covered it in foil.
 When I tap tested it, it wasn't done, so I put it directly on the rack.

and then you have to wait for it to cool...
And then give up and cut it with a steak knife.

I'm hoping the sugar isn't necessary because it's a sweet and sour sort of bread. It does taste good though, just I'll use less sugar next time. I'm thinking if I taste it, the yeast didn't eat all of it so it's more than necessary.

Yes I do have a bread knife and no, I don't care what it looks like after I cut it. I'm not entering it into the fair. I just tear it up when I eat it anyways.

I am pretty impressed with this recipe and will make it again. I still have starter after all...

BUT GUESS WHAT??? I almost got a dehydrator last night! But then thought better of it because it wasn't the brand I wanted and I'd not read up or heard anything on that brand before. So I went home and... I'm glad I didn't get it. A lot of people said it was poorly made with chrome plated shelves, and aluminum that wasn't sealed, and if you cook meat, the juices eat it away and short out the heating element and in some cases, while they were using it the first time! Also, they all had a different side- either left or right, or back that dried out faster so they had to constantly rotate. So it dehydrates very unevenly and different in each individual machine. All the other products (like the round ones,) you also have to rotate. So I'm glad I am still excited to learn that I still like my first choice that I have had a good feeling about.

So we'll probably buy the one online -the Excalibur! I'm so excited!
Have a great day! I have to clean my house!
Trisha.

No comments:

Post a Comment